Thursday, November 6, 2008

Artist: Amanda Page Stephens

The following feature was conducted by k@t and compiled-n-shined by Gabe. Please direct-link to this feature rather than copy+pasting. Give us credit for our hard work!

...and now, the natural visceral-visual blur of Amanda Page Stephens.




Bio [in her own words]

I was raised by the local art community so it is my blood to make art.
Naturally, I studied art in grade school. During the summer of 1994, I
went off to the Maryland Institute College of Art and Design. The following
fall I entered into Governor's School of the Arts. Due to the guidance at
Governor's School, I was accepted into 11 art schools in the spring
of 1995.

By Jan. 1996, I was headed off to the School of the Art Institute of
Chicago. I studied there for three years until I returned to Tidewater
in 1999. From then on until 2006, I juggled school, family, and work at
SAIC, ODU, and TCC. I finally earned my degree in May of 2006. During the years my art has appeared in a variety of group shows and in two solo shows. My first major exhibition accomplishment was in 1995. A sculpture, mixed media, photo piece was accepted into the Chrysler Museum's Irene Leeche show.
I was the youngest artist to ever be shown. I have judged a couple of festivals and art shows. I have taught a handful of workshops on video and
performance art. I hope to continue to produce and show my work in the days to come.



INTERVIEW

How do you keep your work and process fresh under deadlines and compromises?

I invite people in the community to make orchestrated accidents in my
work at tea parties or hang out spots. I also include found object in my
paintings.

What do you imagine is the role of your work in the lives of those who
see it?

I hope to inspire wonder, confusion….



What evidence do you see of your work achieving the goals you have for
it?

So many people ask questions of why, how, and what the f*** for. Plus I
have gotten a few amazing written reviews of certain pieces that proved I
achieved my desired goal. My goal for my work is to put art making in
non-traditional places done by everyday people. So many people are afraid
to help me with my work. They are afraid of messing it up. There are no
bad mistakes in my art. Just people getting together and having fun with
art.

If there were no financial limits whatsoever for you, what constraints
would you most like to overstep?

Well my work was born out of financial constraint so the only thing I truly desire is larger canvas… Are there other mediums you would explore? I went to art school for 10 years! I think I explored plenty.



Did you grow up in Virginia? (If not, when / why did you move here?)

Oh glory, glory yes. My childhood stomping grounds expand from Wards
Corner to Ghent [Norfolk]

Do you do gallery shows?

I grew up in a gallery show.

How long have you been creating?

Well let's see my dad was an artist and my mom was the nude model when they met. I had no choice to start in the womb. In other words since I can remember.



How would you describe your work?

Structured chaos….

Artist Statement: Accidental stains constantly inspire my creative
side. In fact natural stains make up most of my pallet. Pigments from tea,
wine, coffee, and flowers actually appear in my work rather consistently. Anassortment of found objects like puzzle pieces, obscure street metal,
and fabrics show up on my canvas too. The quest towards peace and sanity
repeat in my work on a regular basis. The concept of inexpensive and recycled materials drive my creative process. I enjoy inviting my community to contribute to the stains by spilling their drinks or putting their
cigarettes out on my canvas. I orchestrate these accidents by directing
where the spill or burn goes. In the end a search for answers and
relaxation gives my work its foundation.

What are you motivations for creating?

I can't stop. Plus I like to recycle.



What do you find visually stimulating right now? Any local artists that
we need to keep an eye on?

My dad, James E Stephens, Jennida Chase, Danny Holcomb, Jamila Starwater Tazewell, you.

What other artists or movements inform your work/aesthetics/sensibilities?

Ooooh art history, I hate/love you. See previous question. Jasper
Johns, Cindy Sherman

Do you think that the notion of an artist's "style" is fabricated to
boost sales and marketability?

No, growl. I think people can get overly comfortable but honestly I am obsessed with my process/style.
Are artists then forced to limit their body of work to specific content or media in an effort to facilitate easy recognization? Only if they let it.



You can catch Amanda at the following upcoming art shows :

November 2, 2007
Solo Kiss the Drink 3 Show First Friday Empire
[Richmond,Va]

November 10, 2007
Handmade Parade @ the Masonic Temple
[7001 Granby St]

Weblinks :

www.thebelvederegallery.com
www.myspace.com/amandapagestephens
www.norfolkcraftmafia.com
http://apages.blogspot.com

No comments: