Thursday, November 6, 2008

Artist: Sarah Spalsbury

The following feature was conducted by k@t and compiled by Gabe. Please do not copy+paste this feature; instead, direct link to it!

...and now, the art of Sarah Spalsbury.

:INTERVIEW:




How long have you been creating?

I have been creating artwork since before I could read. Yes, I was one of those Art Club, Lit Club, Drama Club kids. After high school, though, I kind of fell out of any creative outlets for quite awhile. I've really only picked it up again in the past couple of years.

How would you describe your work?

My work is simply what I felt like doing at that moment.
I don't work within just one style or with just one medium.


What are you motivations for creating?

I got back into art to make a gift for someone a few years ago. For awhile thereafter i worked mainly on commissions. Now I mainly just do whatever I think will be fun to do for me.

What is a moment that you had a violent clarity and saw something completely different? (saw a movie, news, family event) How did that shape your art?

I have no clarity. For a long time a tried to be a writer. I was deeply inspired by nearly everything. Nothing was original, so i gave it up. Painting is a little different, though. A striking photograph can be painted into one's own interpretation without being plagierism.


What do you find visually stimulating right now? Any local artists that we need to keep an eye on?

Honestly, lately I've been quite out of the loop. I've been too absorbed in my day job to even focus on my own work.

What other artists or movements inform your work/aesthetics/sensibilities?

Funny, I was never really a fan of pop art growing up, but now I love working in it. To enjoy as an outsider, though, I'm a huge fan of Arthur Rackham and turn of the century illustration.

Do you think that the notion of an artist's "style" is fabricated to boost sales and marketability? Are artists then forced to limit their body of work to specific content or media in an effort to facilitate easy recognization?

If an artist feels forced to limit anything, then they are not a true artist. Art is in the freedom.


What were your favorite cartoons as a kid??

He-Man and She-Ra were never missed, or Smurfs and anything on the USA cartoon express rotation. I still use my Shirt Tails candy dish!

What do you imagine is the role of your work in the lives of those who see it? What evidence do you see of your work achieving the goals you have for it?

What really made me take my own artwork seriously is when people were awed by the fact that they could attain it- for themselves and as gifts. It being mostly personal, and the fact that it is a serious peice of art, has made those it was meant for feel that much more special for having it.

If there were no financial limits whatsoever for you, what constraints would you most like to overstep? Are there other mediums you would explore?

I would do some obnoxiously large sculpture maybe. I've always wanted to recreate the Swiss Family Robinson tree house. Landscape art and architecture are also big interests of mine.


Did you grow up in Virginia? (If not, when / why did you move here?)

I grew up in Michiganand moved around alot there. Spent a few months in San Diego. I moved here about five years ago when I was sick of Michigan again.

Do you do gallery shows?

I've never really had enough peices done at one time for a show. I do have a show in the works for next year. I'll be doing a charity show at Kirn Memorial Library. We're still looking for artists to join in if anyone is interested!

Please finish the following statements...


"You know you've made it when..." I'll know it when I get there.


"It'll be time to pack up the gear for good when..." never.


"I'll never forget the first time I..." felt proud of myself.


Let's have some fun with word association. Give me your immediate feelings on the following (if you've got no discernable feelings, make something up that won't embarrass you in the morning)

Military Ships: gray

Constant Road Construction: commute to work sucks

Virginia Beach Oceanfront: overrated

Blogs: I never update mine.

The Norva- it's been awhile since I was there :(

The Boathouse- never been

Ghent- Starbucks in the morning!

Festivals- don't have time

The Block- huh?

Granby Street- getting better

What's the most played song on your iPod (or an equivalent music playing device) in the past week?

Dark Come Soon- Tegan and Sara


The business side of being an artist: how do you market/promote yourself, and does it work? How do you cope?

I've done the Ebay thing. It has it's ups and downs. I don't worry about it much.

:WEBLINKS:
Deviant Art
official myspace
artwanted.com profile

No comments: