Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Artist: Jerry Gammon

Ladies and Gentlemen...in my half-functioning, fractured and sore state, I gladly give you Mr. Jerry Gammon. Please don't copy+paste this onto your website. Just direct-link to it!

-Gabe-



:BIO:

Newport News native Jerry Gammon practiced the art of Polaroid Image Manipulation from 1995 to 2006. After cataloging 1595 images, his craft became a "lost art" for him (and thousands of others worldwide) when Polaroid discontinued the SX-70 "Time Zero" film needed to create his "painterly" photographs.

Jerry will continue to offer the timeless images from the Polaroid collection as well as pictures from his expanding digital portfolio. As with the altered Polaroids, his digital photographs will feature local scenes of Hampton, Newport News and the
history-rich Tidewater area.

Since 1982, Jerry has been employed by the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula, where he is currently the Senior Director of Operations. He resides in Hampton with his wife, Gail, her two sons, and their Dachshunds – Gulliver, Grace and Oliver.

:INTERVIEW:

Are you from Virginia or did you relocate here?

I was born in Newport News, VA in 1945.

Where did you grow up?

Grew up in
Danville, VA, retuning to Newport News when I was 7 years old. Except for military time and some corporate relocation, I have lived in Hampton-Newport News area since returning here in 1953.

Do you have a particularly favorite (photo/ painting) you have created and why is it your favorite?

My favorite photo is my "Starry Night in
Gloucester" – a hand-altered Polaroid SX-70 original photgraph. It is my favorite phot because of its eye appeal and it is a good example of the craft I practiced for 11 years.



What about photography captivated your interest?

I have always had an interest in Impressionistic art and photography. When I learned the Polaroid Image manipulation technique, it allowed me to combine the two interests into an art form that satisfied my desire to be creative.


What advice would you give to a person interested in becoming a professional photographer?

Learn the basics of good photography, take some workshops, buy the best equipment you can afford, join some photo sharing web sites and learn to edit your photos. Also, learn to print, or find a good commercial printer to print your pictures. But mainly shoot, shoot and shoot. With the digital age, you can practice for little or no cost.


Tell us about your experiences getting started as a professional photographer.

When I started doing Polaroids in 1995, I knew some of them were good enough to sell. I looked around and found a cooperative gallery, Blue Skies in
Hampton and submitted my work to the jury. I became an exhibiting member in 1996, and have been there for over 12 years. I entered as a Polaroid artist and have sold many prints, framed and matted-only, and note cards over the years. When Polaroid discontinued the film needed for my art form in March of 2006, I devoted myself to becoming a better digital photographer. Since then, I have been fortunate to sell many digital prints along side prints of my Polaroid collection.



Do you prefer working with digital or film cameras? Why?

Since I discovered digital, I have not bought/used a role of film. The digital age is better quality, less expensive, gives instant gratification, not to mention the ability to shoot until you get it right.


Can you tell us about your technical process.(camera type/ photo editing programs)

For digital, I use a Nikon D80 or D50 camera. I have Nikon and Sigma lenses for wide angle, macro and telephoto shooting. For post processing, I use Adobe Elements 4 and Jasc Paint Shop Album 5.


For Polaroid, I used the best instant camera ever made, the SX-70.


Can you tell us about your creative process. How do you come up with ideas for photo shoots and shots?

Most ideas occu to you when you put yourself in an environment where you will be exposed to photo-ops. Walking a trail in the woods or by a lake or river will yield opportunities you never knew were there – until you put yourself in palce to see them. Also, there really is not much new under the sun…we all see other pictures or works that we admire and get the inspiration to try a similar shot. This is why it is important to use the internet to view the work of others, so as to gain inspiration.

What are predominating concerns as an artist, and how do you express them?

As a Polaroid artist, I was happy to capture pretty scenes on film, and then try to do the best hand alteration of each photo to create "painterly" qualities. If the result was a "pretty" picture that was pleasant to look at, I was happy. The fact that others liked some of them enough to buy them was a bonus.

With digital, I try to do the same thing, create pretty images that make people happy. I will leave to others the task of capturing the angst and despair of mankind – I know there is a place for this in photography.


What do you want to photograph that you've not yet shot?

There are thousands of lighthouses in the
United States. I only have about 2 dozen Polaroid and digital images of lights, I want many more. I also want to do one wedding (a friend's who keeps looking for Mr. Right) and I would like to become an accomplished portrait photographer.



Can you think of a particularly fun client or project that you've had?

I love working with dogs. A really fun shoot involved my 3 Dachshunds and two clients Shiatsu and Shepard mix. They dogs had a great time and provided some good shots.


What about a really boring project that you did just to pay the rent?

My rent is paid from my career as a professional Boys & Girls Club worker for the past 26 years, so I have never really had a boring experience with photography. I have been bored or impatient waiting several hours to get a good light on a subject, or waiting for a sunset, but never bored taking pictures.


What are your present works about? How would you describe your work?

I shot a lot of wildlife now and have always had a fascination with trees Рin my Polaroid and digital work. I describe my work as light and fun "with an occasional touch of whimsy" Рhow is that for a clich̩?



What other interests do you have? (besides photography)

I love my job, enjoy my puppies, and do a lot of gardening, plants and food crops.


What artists have influenced you, and how?

Van Gogh and all the French Impressionists inspired my Polaroid work. There are many contemporary photographers that I find inspiring – on the web and in local galleries – and of late, Robert Lerner has been a great teacher and inspiration for me.




What do you think of the current trend of tattooed, alternative nearly (or fully) naked models such as Suicide Girls or various other alterna sites? Do you think it has a negative or positive effect on photography?

As an old, conservative guy, I am not at all enamored with tattooing or piercing. Once if you had them, they were unique and you stood out (for better or worse)…now they are so prevalent to have lost their uniqueness. However, I do not judge those who wear them – "some of my best friends have tattoos and piercing.".


Any local artists or bands we need to check out?

Band I do not know about – all my favorites are on Medicare. Many artists need to be seen in this area. Blue Skies Gallery in downtown
Hampton has about 50 talented local artists that need more exposure. We should all support our local co-ops and galleries


What's the most played song on your iPod (or an equivalent music playing device) in the past week?

"The End of Innocence" by Don Henley.


What came first, the art or the misery? Explain.

Misery certainly came first. Without a level of affluence, man was not able to express his misery other than by banging someone with a club. As man increased in knowledge and wealth, he had the free time and ability to express his misery. Now, we are such an affluent society, that many people are making fortunes off their misery…selling to equally miserable customers. Wealth does afford us the luxury of expressing our misery.




What do you think of what MC7C does?

I think it is great that you want to promote the arts for art's sake. If you end of making a buck someday, even better. Except for your web site, I am not familiar with what you do or neither have I attended any events. I am probably older than most 3's of your patrons!

How would you make it better?

I cannot make it better, but I hope you will make a few people happy if they learn of my work and find pleasure in viewing it.

Have you been to any of our events?
No.

:WEBLINKS:

Jerry Gammon's official page

No comments: