Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Interview: Brian Banks

The following feature on Mr. Brian Banks was conducted by the MC7C duo and posted for 'yer viewing pleasure. Read on, brothers and sisters, for this one's extra juicy along the edges.

BIO


My story? Okay. I was born a poor black child… Actually, I was born in Millington, Tennessee in 1964, which would make me a young lad of 43. A career "Navy Brat", I spent my formative years moving from State to State; Long Beach; Boston; Norfolk; and Key West, to name a few, before ultimately settling in Virginia Beach.

After high school I somehow conned my way into the Rhode Island School of Design, earning a BFA in Illustration in 1987.

After RISD, I continued to paint and exhibit locally for a few years before settling into a career in graphic design, specifically the screen print industry. If you live in Hampton Roads and attend any number of the areas' local festivals, or have played high school sports in Virginia, you have probably seen, and are wearing some of my screen print art. Which designs, you may ask? I'll never tell – my focus now is 100% on my fine art career.

I moved just outside the Hampton Roads area to Carrsville, VA, in Isle of Wight County, seven years ago on September 11, 2001. I'm married to a wonderful wife, Crystal, have two great kids (most of the time), two dogs, and 2.5 acres of "farmette", complete with my own fishing pond – life is good. When not spending time with family and friends, or watching TV, I can be found in my palatial shoebox of a studio, looking at reference material, sleeping, fretting, entertaining guests, thrashing around on the floor and yes, at times, actually painting.

You can view some of my work on MySpace at myspace.com/brianbanksfineart. My official website is in the design/construction phase and I anticipate having that up and running soon. The domain is brianbanks.com and I will be able to be reached at info@brianbanks.com when the site is active.

I am currently concentrating on developing several new series of paintings and the associated self promotional and marketing materials; as far as shows go, I may or may not be involved with the Carnival of 5 Fires show in Richmond, Oct. 3-5, 2008 – you'll know when I know. Other than that, I have no shows planned for the immediate future, but as usual, that's all subject to change.


INTERVIEW


While I am hesitant to categorize my art, I have on occasion described it as "neo-atavistic realism". If you don't know what that means, look it up - I had to. (Hell, I'll wet the bag for you but I'm not going to tear it, too!) I have heard my work associated with Lowbrow (or Pop Surrealism, if you will) and my paintings do exhibit several of the hallmarks of that genre: figurative focus, cultivation of the narrative, and a strong valuing of technical skill. Ultimately, I feel it's the job of curators and critics to classify art; it's my job to make art.

That said, I create labor intensive, large scale oil paintings that recreate scenes of daily life in the ancient world; I am heavily influenced by the art, architecture and lifestyles of ancient cultures, particularly those of Mesoamerica and Polynesia. I often incorporate familiar objects and themes from the present to create a juxtaposition of time and values. My work is meant to be socially satirical and my use of humor, often dark, is designed to engage the unsuspecting viewer into bearing witness to my observations. Highlighting the lack of differences we have amongst ourselves, my work serves to illustrate my belief that for all of our technological advances, man's nature has, in fact, not evolved.

I am a perfectionist (i.e. control freak), and as such, I take great pride in my craftsmanship. I stretch and prepare my own canvasses and, when possible, design and build my own frames. While I do quite a bit of historical research for my work, I don't feel the need to limit myself by remaining completely faithful in my portrayal of any culture I might reference. In fact, I'm finding that I'm slowly melding aspects of each culture I borrow from into one homogenous people. In a sense, I'm creating my own historical timeline.


What do you find visually stimulating right now? Any local artists that we need to keep an eye on?

That's a loaded question, huh? Contrary to my love for traditional painting – I do love my old masters – I really like quite a bit of the digital art I'm seeing. Also, the art I'm finding on MySpace, in general, is often pretty stimulating; sure, there's a lot of crap out there but there's also tons of really awesome art to be seen. I can't really say that I feel a true sense of community with other artists on MySpace, but it's probably the most connected I've felt to such a wide range of artists since I was at RISD. Just seeing so much new, diverse work has done wonders for my desire to
create.



What other artists or movements inform your work/aesthetics/sensibilities?

It is not possible for me to list all the artists that have influenced my work, past and present. The work or philosophies of many artists appeal to me for very different reasons; some I can appreciate for their use of color, style, composition, message or theme, with others it's much less tangible, perhaps something about the way I feel when I see or hear their work, something I can't quite put my finger on. And that's okay, because I realized a long time ago that I don't necessarily need to understand everything before me; with that in mind, the following is a short list of artists, whose work or beliefs, for whatever reasons, speaks to what I'm doing with my own art at this point in my life -

Rembrandt, Mark Ryden, Vincent van Gogh, David Macaulay, Scott Musgrove, Chuck Close, Brad Holland, Peter Paul Rubens, Robert Williams, Motorhead, Paul Gauguin, Martin Wittfooth, Wes Anderson, Ray Caesar, Coop, Stanislav Szukalski, Heather Watts, Mark Turgeon, Egon Schiele, Matt Mahurin, Andy Warhol, Ray Harryhausen, Jimmy Buffett, Bob Dob, and the Dutch & Flemish Masters as a whole.

As for movements, obviously, one of the greatest influences on my art is Pre-Columbian art. The Classical Realism and Lowbrow movements (yes, I'm aware that there is still debate as to whether or not Lowbrow is a true movement) are at the top of my list, and I'm absolutely in love with the Dutch Golden Age painting of the Renaissance Period. To a lesser degree the Arabesque, Pop Art, and Impressionist movements have had an impact on my work.


If there were no financial limits whatsoever for you, what constraints would you most like to overstep? Are there other mediums you would explore?

I'd damn sure quit my day job, all they would see was skid marks! Who in the hell are these people who win the lottery and say "I'm gonna keep my job as a school bus driver (janitor, meat plant worker, etc…)"? What's that all about? You can't possibly tell me that that person feels the same way about driving a bus as I do about making art, not that there's anything wrong with driving a bus, mind you; I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept of something like driving a bus as being a real passion.

I think a bigger, badder, studio would be in order as well; something like a tribal lodge house you might find on Papua New Guinea for example, with all the modern conveniences, of course. And I'd hire my own "peeps" so other peoples' peeps could call mine.

I've actually tried many mediums from the entire gamut of painting (oil, acrylic, watercolor, dyes, egg tempera, gouache, ink, encaustic), to glass blowing, printmaking, photography, etc. I'd love to get into glass blowing again; if you EVER have an opportunity to experience it, do it! You won't be disappointed, and don't worry about your eyebrows – they will only FEEL like they melted off, they will still be there. Monument sculpture interests me as well; in fact, I'm thinking about making a few 20' Easter Island moai (even with my considerable financial limits) as a backdrop for my pond – the neighbors will LOVE me! Maybe some 4'-5' Olmec heads in the front yard, huh? A guy can dream, can't he?

Did you grow up in Virginia? (If not, when / why did you move here?)

Yes and no; I grew up a Navy brat. My father was stationed here twice over the years and Norfolk was his final duty station. He retired from the Navy in 1975, bought a house in Virginia Beach and I've been in the Hampton Roads area (the area formally known as Tidewater), off and on ever since - I keep trying to get out and they keep pulling me back in!


Do you do gallery shows?

Yes, absolutely. I'm just now getting back into my art after too many years of "whoring" myself doing graphic design; it's the same old sad story, artist finds day job to pay the bills, day job consumes artist's soul, artist loses passion. Lucky for me, Satan misplaced my soul and my guardian angel found it and returned it to me – I've got my mojo back!

I'm currently looking for local venues for my art, but I'm also interested in the bigger picture, taking my art to wherever I can, through whatever means I can. I don't think I'd be content to limit myself anymore.

What is your current favorite creation?

That would be the painting I and my inner circle of friends like to call the "Sacrifice" painting; the actual title is "Will You Swallow If I Tell You That I Love You?" That painting holds special significance for me because, not unlike my latest painting, it represents several milestones in my artistic development.

For starters, it marked a new approach to the way I made art. My process prior to that was to skim through the hundreds of Polaroids I had collected throughout my road trips, parties, nights-about-town, and other misadventures until something caught my eye that seemed like a good story to tell; then I would transform that image, or combinations of images, into a painting adding all of my characteristic twists and themes. With the "Sacrifice" painting I actually had something to say (instead of letting the photographs suggest my approach); I envisioned the work in my mind, staged the composition with models, and shot reference photos. Technically, it's also painted better than my previous work; I was beginning to really understand the medium.

It was also the first serious piece I ever painted completely sober, which brings me back to the message of the painting; basically, without being preachy, I was drawing a parallel between the human sacrifice of the Aztec and Maya (many of the victims willingly consented to this) and how some modern, civilized people willingly (at least in the beginning stages of addiction) sacrifice their lives to alcohol or drugs, hence the title. Interestingly enough, it was the title that caused a stir when I first showed that piece. Nobody objected to the nude, bound, blindfolded woman being force fed a Margarita, go figure. I was given the option of re-titling the piece for the show or leaving it untitled – the painting was shown with no title.

A very close second favorite creation would be the canvas I'm working on right now because of what it represents regarding my re-emergence into the art scene and all the promise that that holds. While I don't generally like to discuss works in progress, I guess a little tease never hurt anyone – small children, decapitated heads, Mr. Rogers – that's all I'm saying.

How much do you think hype affects the public perception of what good art is?

Hype is everything. Our country's whole capitalist system is driven by hype, so why not art? As I've stated before, I think most people grow up without a true appreciation for art, therefore they don't have a good understanding of how to judge or value art. They want and need somebody to tell them what "good" art is.

Ever heard the expression "I don't know much about art but I know what I like"? It's too bad more people don't follow this axiom; instead, they would rather take their cues from celebrities and other high profile types. If this actor or that musician says the art is good, then of course, it must be so. Too many people just take whatever they are fed without ever bothering to find out just what it is that they're eating.

This isn't an attack on any particular celebrity's ability to assess art; actually some are very astute and respected collectors. Steve Martin, for example, comes to mind. I'm just highlighting the overblown value we give to the opinions of others, based solely on their station, instead of trusting our own judgment.

Ironically, some of these same celebrities who are jumping on the fine art bandwagon in an effort to present themselves as being cultured are, in fact, themselves relying on the opinions of others instead of trusting their own judgment.



Last CD bought, downloaded or stole?

I just got The Hives' "The Black and White Album" as a gift, does that count? Other than that, it's hard to say since both my wife and I love music and are constantly acquiring new stuff. Our current CD collection is hovering around the 600 mark, give or take, and we are downloading more and more digital music. I'm not sure I can recall the last CD I bought, although the Hoodoo Gurus "Magnum Cum Louder" seems to ring a bell. (I'm going through an 80's Australian thing right now – The Church, Midnight Oil, Divinyls, etc. etc. etc.)

The last full album I downloaded was Gothabilly Rockin' Necropolis for our annual Graveyard Gala Halloween party last year. Great album!

I can't ever remember stealing any CDs, although we have made several recent acquisitions to the Banks music archives through anonymous loans that seem to have become part of our permanent collection.

Why do you think so many people spend money on music but don't buy much REAL art?

I guess that all depends on what you consider REAL art. I once rented studio space years ago at a "working studio/gallery" where fine artists shared space with what I would consider craft artists; how can you convince the average Joe that paying $3500 for an original oil painting is a bargain when he can go into the next room and buy a painted light switch or ceramic paperweight for $25?

Music is easily accessible; everybody likes one form of music or another. We ALL grew up with music, it's familiar; who among us REALLY grew up with an appreciation and understanding of art? I'd be willing to bet not many.

In America we don't have the tradition, the appreciation, or the history of art a lot of European and other countries do. We aren't taught to value art. Besides, music isn't intimidating, art often is. And honestly, I don't think the average person can justify the expense of buying REAL art – at least not originals. Who can't afford a new CD?


How do you think the local scene is doing? How would you change it?

From what I've been hearing it's been hit or miss; remember, I'm just getting back into the local scene so I'm really just beginning to find my way around. I'm looking for spaces, so if anybody knows of a location that looks like a good fit for what I'm doing, I'm all ears!

I will tell you that the last show I went to was the Mid-Atlantic Juried Show at d'Art Center and I thought the turnout was very disappointing… but that's just one man's opinion. Until I have a clearer picture of the overall local art scene I really don't feel justified offering up any changes or solutions, other than to say that the people who are committed to supporting the arts locally need to keep on being as vocal as they can be.

Last Book you read?

THE UNDERACHIEVER'S MANIFESTO, The Guide to Accomplishing Little and Feeling Great by Ray Bennett, M.D. It has turned my life around!

What's your favorite local restaurant to eat at?

I love food, as evidenced by my ever expanding waistline, and Mexican is at the top of the list. One of my favorite Mexican places is Cazadores in Suffolk. For seafood, I like the Lynnhaven Fish House in Virginia Beach.

Funny story, the first time I went to the Lynnhaven Fish House, my wife and I roll up to the edge of the parking lot in my beat-to-hell ..71 Chevy Nova (primer spots, rust, the whole deal) not realizing that it was valet parking. As I start to throw the car into reverse (with my tail between my legs), my wife looks at me and says "aw, what the hell, go for it!". So we pull up to the restaurant, get out of the car, and with a completely straight face I tell the valet not to scratch it. Dinner was awesome! I had the grilled mahi-mahi, and the car was returned with no additional scratches.


Quote us your favorite song lyrics. (Please include who it is by)

"The only time I'm easy's when I'm killed by death." – "Killed By Death" by Motorhead. That pretty much sums up my philosophy on life.

As far as lyrics that speak directly to the artist experience (at least as I understand it) you can't go wrong with these from "Artists Only" by Talking Heads -

"I'm painting, I'm painting again.

I'm painting, I'm painting again.

I'm cleaning, I'm cleaning again.

I'm cleaning, I'm cleaning my brain.

Pretty soon now, I will be bitter.

Pretty soon now, will be a quitter.

Pretty soon now, I will be bitter.

You can't see it 'til it's finished

I don't have to prove...that I am creative!

I don't have to prove...that I am creative!

All my pictures are confused

And now I'm going to take me to you."


What's your worst habit?

Are you fucking serious? What kind of fucking bullshit question is that? Who's the asshole that came up with that one? I think it's pretty motherfucking clear what my worst habit is…….. Procrastination.

What irritates you?

The price of music CDs. Anybody old enough to remember when they first came out will also remember the promises the record companies made that once CDs "caught on", the average price would drop substantially. Anyone remember those prices dropping at all? Sorry, Lars, but don't cry to me that YOU'RE getting ripped off by kids stealing your music. Which reminds me, exactly when did we stop actually owning the things we bought, software, music, etc.?

To show you just how well rounded I am in my irritation, I've compiled the following for your reading pleasure – these things also irritate me: whining(isn't that what I'm doing here?); narcissism; seeing my children exhibit my character flaws; art speak; cold fries; cops who drive 75mph on the interstate, because they can; sand in my shorts; weak tea; biting flies; nothing but "shake" in the bottom of a cereal box; taxes; women who dress provocatively and act insulted when men actually look at them; political correctness; gas prices; "reality" TV; bad service at restaurants; arrogance; movie rentals that skip; passive- aggressiveness; our country's reliance on the automobile; I could go on and on…


What has been your greatest success?

Professionally – learning to trust my own judgment; being able to continue painting what I feel compelled to paint by somehow keeping that inner fire burning in the face of adversity.

Personally - being universally recognized in high school as the best "drawer", and oh, yeah, having THE best wife and children a mook like me could ever hope for. Really, how did I pull that one off? Seriously?

What has been your greatest setback?

F-E-A-R, without a doubt, has been my single greatest setback. Fear of failure, and ironically, fear of success. It's something I constantly battle.

While I'm not real big on inspirational quotes or reciting "you can do it!" mantras, I did happen upon a quote in Found Magazine that offers some of the best advice on dealing with fear I've ever read. For those of you unfamiliar with Found Magazine, it's a site/magazine that posts "finds", that usually come in the form of notes, lists or messages that, for one reason or another, have been discarded or lost by the original authors or intended recipients, only to be "found" by some random passerby and submitted for all to see. There are some real gems on the site. The particular note I refer to was found in early September 2002 at the Rockwell el stop, Chicago, IL, and reads as follows:

"You know what it is that you want you're just afraid to admit it because you're afraid of failing. Fuck that. Fuck your fear. You know what you want which is a hell of a lot more than most other people so don't be afraid or ashamed just go out & fucking get it."

I think that just about says it all…


The business side of being an artist: how do you market/promote yourself, and does it work? How do you cope?

I'm a total control freak when it comes to my art, business and creative sides alike. I'm involved with EVERY aspect of my career, from designing business cards and other promotional materials to maintaining mailing lists and making new contacts. I feel fortunate in some respects that I have such a strong graphic design background, this makes it much easier when designing self-promotional pieces and dealing with printers and such. Ultimately, I see myself turning some control of the business side of my career over to an assistant.

My philosophy of marketing/self-promotion is based on the concept of seeing the whole picture; I am very much concerned that all of my promotional materials and efforts appear professional and unified, I believe people respect that and are impressed by the effort. After all, everything you send or submit to others is a direct reflection on your art, and as such, should conform to the same standards and principals as your art; to quote a line from the movie American Beauty, "In order to be successful, one must project an image of success at all times." Sending out subpar promotional materials is like showing up for a corporate job interview wearing flip-flops, shorts and a tank top - it doesn't matter how great your resume is, do you think you'd still get the job? First impressions DO count.

Most of the above promotional efforts are directed at gallery owners, collectors and the press. One of the tools I use to connect with the general public is MySpace. I was very hesitant at first, but after months of suggestions to start a MySpace page, I finally gave in. I didn't know squat about coding or how to lay a page out, but I devoted a weekend to setting up a page and I made it happen. From the beginning, I went into it with the clear intention of using my page primarily for networking, and, for me, it has worked better than I ever could have anticipated.

Additionally, since I am taking my work to markets well outside the scope of the Hampton Roads region, I am giving serious consideration to hiring a publicist or artist's representative. Given the fact that I have limited knowledge of the business practices in the markets I'm contacting, and have few contacts, I feel considering this option to be a wise move.

Of course, all of these things cost money, and with my financial limitations I do need to get quite creative at times, but I consider it money well spent; it is an investment in my career. It's much easier for me to justify the expense of new business cards, transparencies, or postage as opposed to something like a new widescreen TV; sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet and spend money to make money.


What came first, the art or the misery? Explain.

The art, without a doubt, little children don't know how to be miserable yet. Most of the artists I know have been involved, to one degree or another, with making art all their lives; my kindergarten teacher told my mother I had talent, and I was probably drawing even before that. Was I a happy child? Not particularly, but I don't think I was miserable either.

The misery comes later, often the result of the alienation we are made to feel for being artists, which seems to be synonymous with "outcasts" in many peoples' views. Seriously, when's the last time you heard of an artist in high school actually being really popular? Sure, drawing pot leaves for guys or portraits of the band Journey for girls will get you some props, but that only takes you so far in the social hierarchy.

And then there's the misery that comes from showing your work to the public and having it judged. An artist's work is an extension of their soul, so criticism cuts deep and wounds are slow to heal. Fortunately for me, I've spent the last fifteen years in the screen printing industry – my skin's thicker than a fucking elephants'!

Don't even get me started on the misery associated with unfulfilled potential…

What do you think of what MC7C does? How would you make it better? Have you been to any of our events?

I think what you're doing is great! I would encourage you to continue your efforts. I only wish that there were more organizations like yours when I was a young cat. And no, I haven't been to any of your events yet… but as my friends used to say, "The night is but a fetus!"


Official Links :

Brian Banks @ myspace
Coming soon : brianbanks.com...

No comments: