Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Interview: Look Alive Project


Look Alive Hampton Roads!













INTERVIEW



How did the two of you meet and start the Look Alive project?

Jarrett: Reese and I met quite a few years ago... she auditioned to play bass in an old band of mine. We've stayed friends ever since, and when I started putting the people together to work on this whole thing, she was one of the first i thought of. We're just two of the handful of super-dedicated people that've been working their hearts out on this event.

Reese: We met a few years ago, when I tried out for one of his bands. We became friends. I, honestly, never thought that I'd be standing here today takin this huge project on with him, but I fell in love with the idea the second I heard it. I think Jarrett knew before ever asking me that I would do this in a heart beat.




Where did you get the idea for it?

Jarrett: I spent three years living just outside of New York City, and when I wasn't on the road, I frequented all the dirty rock clubs and all the amazing art galleries up there in Chelsea and in the Village. There was always something going on.... and it was brilliant. Every night was an event, and you really felt like you were a part of something special. When I returned to Hampton Roads last year, I really missed that feeling of community among the creative culture. And the unfortunate part was there were people here that were just as talented, if not more so, than the bands and artists i used to go catch in NYC. I figured I could do one of two things, a. be apathetic about it, and just sit on my hands and wait for a sea change, or b. try and make a dent in that apathy and maybe help to get the ball rolling to push all of us on a course of really creating something that's our own, and that celebrates the amazing artists we have here. I know we'll never be a New York City, or a Los Angeles, obviously, and that's not the point, the hope is that maybe we can keep people from feeling they have to "run away from home" in order to find a fostering arts and music community. On top of that, we want to show the local business community that the arts can be profitable, and by opening their doors to live music and art showings, we prove that the cultural worth of Hampton Roads, Virginia reaches beyond the bow of the USS Wisconsin.

Reese: I actually can take no credit for this at all. This was Jarrett's idea. I just jumped on board the second I could.



How did you chose the TAO to receive the donations of the night?

Jarrett: I was turned on to TAO by a friend of mine. There's a lot of worthy Hampton Roads charities, some of which receive thousands upon thousands of dollars in donations a year. We wanted to go with an organization where our contribution wasn't just a drop in the bucket and where we could see first hand how that money is being used, and how its helping the folks receiving it. Tidewater Arts Outreach does something very special for this community by bringing the arts into the lives of people who's circumstances are dire. And it's truly mind blowing to watch the power an instrument or a paintbrush can have on those people stuck in the doldrums of a life-less-than-perfect. Its escapism. And it's a cause I'm very proud to support. Hopefully to we'll turn a lot of artists on to their fight as well and get them on the TAO roster to give their time and their talents to such a worthwhile cause.

Reese: Once again, Jarrett thought of this, but anything that helps the underprivilaged with music/art has my whole hearted support.



What do you think of the current state of our scene?

Jarrett: On the verge of something great. All the elements for a great scene are already in place... a great nucleus of really diverse bands who are great at what they do, plenty of ridiculously talented artists, and a handful of extremely dedicated and selfLESS promoters who just want to see the seven cities really take off. I think we're all just waiting for that Flashpoint, that moment where we go from just coming up with these ideas as to how to make things better, to when we actually start APPLYING those ideas. Once that happens, the floodgates'll open. Call me naive... But i really believe that. And i hope we can be a part of that.

Reese: I don't think our scene is dead, but it certainly is on life support. I go out just about every weekend to see live music. I'm addicted to it. Literally. I get cranky if I haven't seen live music during a given week. I think there are some great bands out there that really rock a room. There are even greater people out there that I love running into and call my friends. It's just sad to hear people who think a $5 cover charge is too much to hear good local live music. It's such a minimal fee that ensures that the band will be able to play again.

What would you improve?

Jarrett: There's a lot of work to do. And it's a fight we've ALL got to get involved in. People have got to start practicing what they preach. I know quite a few folks who'll be the first to complain about the lack of anything going on, but whom wind up spending their Friday nights at home on the coach playing "RockBand" over lukewarm Miller HighLifes instead of heading out to the Taphouse to catch some live music, or to Volume to see an art show. We've got to get the "average-joe" involved too and show 'em that anyone with an open mind can find something different here...something they enjoy... an escape from the same old corner pub week end and week out.

Reese: I think bands lean too heavily on myspace to promote their shows. It shouldn't be that way. A couple of bulletins a few days before a show is not going to pack a room. I remember when band fliers were an art form. There's a local artist, Chris Johnson, who's really bringing that back. Bands should really be hitting the streets and handing out fliers and using word of mouth.



What do you think of the venues? (Lack of support / advertising / pay? or so on)

Jarrett: Obviously if i could I'd snap my fingers and have dozens of new arts-friendly venues magically appear i would, but fact of the matter is we've got to work with what we've got. And we have to support those places that ARE waving the banner for original creativity, and encourage them to continue to do so by actually... SHOWING UP to the shows they put on. People are always so surprised when a venue converts from late night original rock club to another of the "shake-that-ass" establishment like. It's quite simple really, its about revenue... and if its not there, can you really blame a club owner for flipping the script? Live art has to become a commodity again, something people WANT to go see and experience... we can do that if we all make an effort to get out and support these bands and artists doing what they do best. If a hundred and fifty people start showing up on any given night to the Boot to see a show, trust me... other places will pay attention, and will start welcoming the same scene they once shunned. We've got to take that leverage back... and with that comes better paying gigs, more places to perform, and more involvement by those clubs to make these shows as big as possible.

Reese: There are venues such as The Taphouse, The Boot, and the South End Pub, that I love love love love to death. They treat the bands and the fans right.

How can local artists / bands get involved?

Jarrett: SHOW UP. And understand that just because its not your band onstage, or your art that's hanging, that by being there you're helping send a message to the aforementioned "powers that be" that yeah, Hampton Roads DOES has a unified arts scene, and we're working to be heard. Also the centerpiece of the Look Alive Project are the Look Alive take home totes that'll be given out to everyone in attendance... These things will be full of local artists' CDs, fliers, samples of artwork, business cards, stickers... etc. $20 gets you two tickets to the event, and placement into these bags... Head to http://www. lookaliveproject. com/totes. html for more info!

How can local businesses get involved?

Jarrett: Again with SHOW UP! Hopefully we'll have quite a show in store for you. If you'd like to donate or contribute in-kind items, visit http://www.lookaliveproject.com/getinvolved.html



What are your goals for Look Alive beyond Oct 12?

Jarrett: Right now we're all just sort of living and breathing for October 12th... We'll always be advocates for making this area a better place for creative thought, and certainly if the project goes off and meets the ambitious expectations we've all got for it.. then we'll start plotting the next step... but right now all focus is on Granby Theater October 12th.

Reese: I would love to see a room full of people enjoying incredible art and rockin music. I want young artist to gain some knowledge from the artist that have been doing this for quite a while. Bands talking with other bands and setting up truly incredible shows. I would love to see a community truly start to form.

What has been the most difficult thing about the project thus far? The best thing?

Jarrett: There's been a lot of bumps along the way... and we expected that'd be the case, but the pros have surely outweighed the cons. The best thing has been meeting so many like-minded people that are so dedicated to the same cause at the heart of this whole thing... making Tidewater a better place for the arts and its artists. Its been refreshing and invigorating to know we're not in this alone.

Reese: The most difficult thing about this has just been to find the time that this project truly deserves. I've basically given all of my spare time to this because the bands and artists in this area deserve the absolute best. The best thing about this whole thing has been seeing peoples faces light up when they get what this is all about. Every time a new band joins in the bag it's like a personal victory.



When you're not busting your tails putting this event together, what do you enjoy doing?

Reese: Well, I don't have much free time. I am going to school full time to finish my music business degree and busily studying to take my LSATs. I do love going out on the weekends, as I've said, to hear as muchlocal music as I possibly can!

Jarrett: Free time? What's that? Note to self: Wikipedia this "Free Time" expression.


How can the average person help?

Jarrett: I feel like I'm banging the "SHOW UP" drum. Get to the show on the 12th. It's going to be a great time. Pinky swear. Head to http://www. lookaliveproject. com for tickets.

Reese: Everyone can help by just telling someone else about this amazing event. Be it you call or direct someone to our website. Every little bit counts. This is a true grassroots movement and it's up to everyone to make this a true success. And, of course, you can buy a ticket for $10 that goes straight to the charity.

Shameless plug time....who do you want to plug or say thanks to this far into the game....?

Reese: I want to thank everyone who has given there time to help us. I want to thank Jarrett for asking me to be a part of this! I want to thank all of the wonderful artist and kick ass bands that motivated this whole thing!

Jarrett: Anyone who's touched this event, thrown in their donations, their time, or even their two cents. Your support truly makes or breaks this thing... See you in October.

No comments: