Thursday, November 6, 2008

Artist: sarah askew / robotheartart

Featured Artist of the Week
Sarah Askew / RobotHeartArt


Background
------------
Chesapeake artist Sarah Askew also known as RobotHeartArt is as talented as you get for someone at the ripe old age of twenty years old. Her work is primarily paint on canvas or various materials. Her subject matter ranges from animals to rock stars. When she's not doing art, her day job is working in the fish, bird, reptile, and small animal area in PetSmart. Sarah's other hobbies include hanging out with her boyfriend, playing with her two ferrets, and enjoying her new female leopard geckos.



Interview
-----------
How long have you been creating?

Oh man, I don't even know! Ever since I was very young I've always been into art. Finger Painting 101. In about the second grade I was voted most likely to be an art teacher when I grew up. It's funny because that's what I'm in college for right now!




How would you describe your work?

That's a hard one. Perhaps, funky paint-by-numbers? I've always been inspired by bold line and color..a mechanical feel. Roy Lichtenstein is one of my heros.

What are you motivations for creating?

A desire for beauty. And, of course, to express myself.

What do you find visually stimulating right now? Any local artists that we need to keep an eye on?

I love Michael Scott Younger III! His style inspires me.



What other artists or movements inform your work/ aesthetics/ sensibilities?

Well, Roy Lichtenstien. That whole comic book "machine-made" look. I love it.

Do you think that the notion of an artist's "style" is fabricated to boost sales and marketability? Are artists then forced to limit their body of work to specific content or media in an effort to facilitate easy recognization?

I'm not sure about this. I can see sometimes how maybe some artists would feel like they have to keep using what sold in the past. But, I am always seeing how artists are evolving in their styles!



What were your favorite cartoons as a kid??

As a kid?? I STILL have favorite cartoons! I suppose as a kid my favorites would have to be shows like "Ren and Stimpy", "Cow and Chicken"..Hah, I guess shows that had lots of cartoon butts in them? My favorite cartoon at the moment is "The Venture Brothers". Amazing.



What do you imagine is the role of your work in the lives of those who see it? What evidence do you see of your work achieving the goals you have for it?

I guess I've never thought about this! I think my goal is simple..the most basic goal of art..for someone to see my work and go "Wow! Awesome!". You know? It's not until recently that I've been putting my artwork out there for the world to see.

If there were no financial limits whatsoever for you, what constraints would you most like to overstep? Are there other mediums you would explore?

I would love to get a bit into photography! A nice Canon SLR. Also, I would love to have tons of nice oil paint.

Did you grow up in Virginia? (If not, when / why did you move here?)

I was born in Virginia Beach and lived there my first year of life. I've lived the other 19 years in Chesapeake.



Do you do gallery shows?

Not yet! I would love to though. It wasn't until recently that I've been putting my work out in the open.

What materials do you use to make a piece? Any particular brands in paints or brushes?

Recently, I've been really into painting on wood. As far as paints and supplies, it usually ends up being whatever is the most cost effective. (College student and all...)



Tell us how you start a piece. Do you sketch? Do you wing it? Then what? How do you make a piece?

Usually I'll use a reference photo for my work. I'm a big math person, so I end up making really detailed graphs for everything. I sketch after that. Then paint, with about the tiniest brushes you can buy.

The business side of being an artist: how do you market/promote yourself, and does it work? How do you cope?

I've been way to shy in the past! It wasn't until this year that I've really had a passion to get out there and start selling! I never even publicly sold a piece of my art until about 3 months ago!



Links
Deviant Art Page
Myspace Page

No comments: