Thursday, November 6, 2008

Artist: Candace Filip

Featured Artist of the Week:
Candace Filip



Candace Filip is much like her designs and artwork that she creates, mythical and absolutely adorable stuffed with inspiration. Don't be distracted by her hypnotic brown eyes and playful smile, this petite designer is a pretty paramount powerhouse that is invading the local art scene. Residing in Norfolk, Virginia, Candace is usually found supporting assorted art events or working on her top secret plushie product with local clothing designers Dumskeme. She is not afraid of fraternizing with the boys nor parading her "Cute-Sea" creations along side grafitti-laden canvas, ghoulish characters, abstract jungles, or testosterone infused intrication. Candace Filip will be featured alongside many other brilliant regional ladies at MC7C's first event, Joan of Art, September 29th 2007 at Fuzion Ink, Norfolk Virginia.



Interview:

How long have you been creating?

I've been sewing since high school. But, I just started sewing my plushes this year.


How would you describe your work?

Warm and fuzzy! Hehehe it makes me smile :)

What are you motivations for creating?

My motivation is to put a smile on everyones face. When people look at my creations I want them to feel like a kid again.


What do you find visually stimulating right now? Any local artists that we need to keep an eye on?

I've been peeping the work on the HiCalorie site. There's a lot of really insane work on there. Locally, you should take a look at MSY, Berk, and io. They are some really nice guys.


Tell us more about the work you are doing with Dumskeme. What is Dumskeme and what collaboration/ creations are you inventing with them?

I don't want to reveal too much yet. At the moment we are focused on coming up with unique ways to package our creations. We want to combine toys with fashion, to bring the playfulness back!

Candace, you're a social butterfly. You seem to be out at every art event! What else do you like to do than create plushes and art?

I'm trying to learn how to breakdance, but I can't find anyone to teach me! Lately, I've been really into cooking. I can make some really yummy chicken. :)


Do you think that the notion of an artist's "style" is fabricated to boost sales and marketability? Are artists then forced to limit their body of work to specific content or media in an effort to facilitate easy recognization?

Well, yes, I feel as if though some artist will cater their work to a certain genre based on trends instead of exploring the different facets of creativity.

What were your favorite cartoons as a kid??

I LOVE Sailor Moon. I've been watching that show since middle school.


What do you imagine is the role of your work in the lives of those who see it? What evidence do you see of your work achieving the goals you have for it?

I want people to have fun with my creations. There's nothing serious about them and that's why they are so fun. I'm not sure about the future. I'm pretty much just having fun with it and seeing where it takes me.



If there were no financial limits whatsoever for you, what constraints would you most like to overstep? Are there other mediums you would explore?

I would like to have mass production of my little Cute-Seas :) Cute-Seas EVERYWHERE! One day, I would like to make vinyl Cute-Seas.


Did you grow up in Virginia?

Yeah, I've been here for about 12 years. Before VA, I lived in FL. I was a Navy brat.

Do you do gallery shows?

Yessir!
(Come check out Candace's work at MC7C's first event Joan of Art on September 29th, 2007 at Fuzion Ink in Downtown Norfolk)

The business side of being an artist: how do you market/promote yourself, and does it work? How do you cope?

I'm just starting to get into the business side of this so I'm still learning a thing or two :)



Links:
Candace Filip Myspace

No comments: