Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Interview: Heretics in the Lab

The following feature was conducted and posted by the MC7C duo for this page. Do not copy+paste this! Give us credit for what we do!

This feature is on one of the most well-known industrial acts in Virginia, and we're proud to present hERETICS iN tHE lAB. h3 of hERETICS is the one speaking, here.



INTERVIEW

Did you grow up in Hampton Roads? If so, what cities?

I was born in Virginia Beach, VA but attended school in Virginia Beach and Norfolk. I have always felt more at home in Ghent than anywhere else in Hampton Roads.

Describe your music to someone who has never heard it.
Aggravated, intelligent, industrial music for selfish, self-centered people.



What's the writing process for your music? Do the lyrics come first? Does the music come first? Who does what?

There is no definitive writing process for h1TL. Life is my muse. An interaction with someone, whether they be a intimate lover or a complete stranger, can trigger the chain reaction that starts a song for me. Sometimes just sitting in traffic watching tail lights fade in and out of focus or admiring architecture makes me want to write music. A lot of times my shear disgust for how absolutely incapable and mediocre people seem to aspire to be is enough motivation to make me not only want to write music but to want to change the world as well. As far as the physical writing process goes, lately I seem to be starting a song on one instrument and then finishing it on another. There's been a lot of writing a guitar riff which gets transposed to synth or a synth line that ends up being played on bass etc. Keyboards, drum machines, samplers and sequencers will always be a very important writing tool for me as they put no limits on me as far as what I can do creatively.

Do you have an albums / demos / merch / releases available to purchase? Where can you buy them?

I am selling two albums right now as well as mp3's online. You can aquire all hERETICS iN tHE lAB merch at hERETICSiNtHElAB.com or myspace.com/hERETICSiNtHElAB.



What is your most crazy show story? (Any naked women running around? Drunk bar fights?)

Every h1TL show seems to get a little "crazy", really extreme is the word I would use. When you go as far as we go and do it as hard as we do it "things" are bound to happen. Most recently playing with Wednesday 13 I pulled a disco ball out of a ceiling which struck me on my head and caused massive bleeding. We seem to get hurt a fair amount at our shows without realizing it and I have the occasional "wardrobe malfunction".



How much do you think hype affects the public perception of what good
music
is?

I can't remember ever paying attention to "the public".



How would you like to see the local music scene change? (venues, fans, other bands)

If you want something done you have to do it yourself. Anything I want to change with the music scene I am changing with h1TL.

What's up for the band in 2008? ( a tour, album?)

I am finishing a new album of the best material I have ever written and will possibly be seeking some type of label support. I just added a new live drummer to the band and would like to tour in 2009.

What local bands and artists do you recommend?

I have a studio and record a lot of local bands. I would suggest maybe The Lepers or The Family Trucksters.



What are your favorite venues to play at? How would you like to see the available venues to change when booking shows? (better sound / lights/ pay/ promotions)

Stepping Out is our local stomping ground and I for the most part really enjoy playing there. h1TL is something I don't do unless I can do it one hundred percent, so if I feel a venue is subpar I simply do not play there.

How do you market your music to the public? What seems to work best for you for letting people know about your shows? (Myspace/ the paper / word of mouth)

Myspace is an extremely useful tool and there is nothing like having a street team simply handing out flyers.



What is your current favorite song?

sINCERELY yOURS by hERETICS iN tHE lAB. I like it so much I might post it to our myspace in the next week or so.

Last CD bought, downloaded or stole?

The last CD I paid for with the money I have earned was The Slip by Nine
Inch Nails
.

Quote us your favorite song lyrics. (please include who it is by)

I bow my head to confess The temple walls are made of flesh. -Pig Face [ed. note - the song is titled 'suck'.]



What came first, the music or the misery? Explain.

I am not miserable so it's moot.

What do you think of what MC7C does? How would you make it better? Have you been to any of our events?

I think it's great when anyone takes an interest in themselves and promoting what they do. I have been to a few MC7C events and remember having a good time.

LINKS

hERETICS @ myspace
hERETICS official home page

No comments: