Thursday, November 6, 2008

Artist: Christopher Bautista

Featured Artist:
Chris Bautista


(Written by the artist himself)
Hello, my name is Chris Bautista and 22 years young. I'm a video game addict and used to play professionally as a nerd. For the past 4 years, I had the opportunity to tour the country in the band Fall of Transition, which was the greatest thing I had ever been a part of. I'm a full time student at ODU studying Database Administration and currently work for the enemy known as Canon(jk!). When I am not doing those two things im either taking pictures/owning noobs(videogames) or hanging out with my girlfriend Candace.


Interview:



How long have you been creating?

I've been into photography since I was in middle school but really started to get "serious" maybe even "obsessed" about 3 years ago. I like to sketch a bunch of stuff too but we'll not worry about that =).



How would you describe your work?

I try to stay as creative and original as possible. My work you could describe as "going with the flow", I don't plan anything as far as subjects go with my photography. I just shoot whatever interests me. A lot of my stuff is landscape/macro shots.

What are you motivations for creating?

Other amature photographers locally and abroad. Flickr surprisingly motivates me a lot, you get to interact with a lot of photographers with various backgrounds in the field. Also, my girlfriend as well.





What do you find visually stimulating right now? Any local artists that we need to keep an eye on?

I like to look at fashion/photography magazines a lot to see what creative ideas people are coming up with. You probably already have an eye on him but Michael Scott Younger III is a beast.

oo

What do you imagine is the role of your work in the lives of those who see it? What evidence do you see of your work achieving the goals you have for it?

I like to show people pictures in perspectives that are out of the norm. Kind of like "Hey, I never really looked at "that" in that way before." I may be just confusing you right now. I give up.

ir.1

Do you think that the notion of an artist's "style" is fabricated to boost sales and marketability? Are artists then forced to limit their body of work to specific content or media in an effort to facilitate easy recognization?

If thats the case, to each his own. They can do whatever they want. Hopefully they do what they want to do, forcing yourself to change your style because of income is lame.
But you gotta do what you gotta do i guess.

What were your favorite cartoons as a kid??

Not gonna lie but I still watch cartoons. Mainly anime(nerd).
But when I was a kid i loved Dragon Ball Z. Bobbys World was sweet too. His feet were HUGEEEEE. WWWWOOOOO!




If there were no financial limits whatsoever for you, what constraints would you most like to overstep? Are there other mediums you would explore?

I'd buy a lot of studio equipment. Hell, even my own studio. I've already invested quite a bit on my equipment so far and it hurts! Really...



Did you grow up in Virginia? (If not, when / why did you move here?)

Born and raised. BOOOOO!

Do you do gallery shows?

Not yet, I still have a lot of things I want to accomplish in photography before I do a gallery show.



Please finish the following statements...


"You know you've made it when..." answer omitted. lol


"It'll be time to pack up the gear for good when..." im a millionaire.

"I'll never forget the first time I..." (censored)

Let's have some fun with word association. Give me your immediate feelings on the following (if you've got no discernable feelings, make something up that won't embarrass you in the morning)

Military Ships: im allergic to sterling silver.

Constant Road Construction: stick shift in traffic is torture

Virginia Beach Oceanfront: they have signs that say (@!@!) which i guess means no profanity?

Blogs: ummm.

The Norva: best venue on the east coast

The Boathouse: miss it

Ghent: awesome houses

Festivals: pinatas

The Block: stay away from there

Granby Street: alcohol

And finally...What came first, the art or the misery?

You can't make art unless you're sad first. This makes sense to a lot of people. I refuse to elaborate! HA



What local musicians should we keep an eye on?

I honestly dont know. You guys got it covered.


What local artists should we check out?

alexis angeles



For More Visual Happiness:


http://www.flickr.com/photos/bautistaphotos/
http://www.myspace.com/bautistaa


No comments: