Thursday, November 6, 2008

Artist: Chelsey Barnes

The following feature was conducted by the MC7C duo and has been posted for your visual and mental pleasure(s). Please direct-link to this feature rather than copy&pasting. Give us credit for our hard work!

And now, the "cheeky smart-alecky jazzy fantastical" Chelsey Barnes.



Chelsey Barnes is living in Richmond, Virginia. She plans to attend VCU in the Spring and is working on releasing a website in the near future.

Her next upcoming show is the wonderful Joan of Art show

INTERVIEW

How long have you been creating?


Well, I have always been sketching and doodling. I picked up painting when I was 15 because I desired color to give my drawings life. That, and I wanted something to get my hands dirty with! I have been trying to dabble in all sorts of crafts, something to keep my hands busy. I've built a huge collections of all sorts of little crafty supplies over the past two years. Hopefully, I'll get into crafting more soon so I can have more cute little things to share. Over the past year I have been learning Illustrator. It is my new best friend. We go to parties and stuff together. We've gotten to know each other pretty well. A lot of my newer work is done on illustrator.



How would you describe your work?

Goodness...If I had to choose one word it would probably be cheeky. Or smart-alecky. Ooh ooh, or maybe even....jazzy! Jazzy is a fun word. But so is fantastical...I may as well go with Cheeky smart-alecky jazzy fantastical chic. Yeah. That's what I'll stick with :)



What are you motivations for creating?

Artwork! I LOVE browsing other peoples stuff. Magazines. Especially home design. You see so many shapes, colors, and structures that make you feel so compelled to create. Don't ever take me to a craft store. You know, I used to clip out things that I like, design wise, and keep them in a box. All sorts of typography and swatches of colors and things like that.

Even little flyers from Macy's and tags from clothing. Design is everywhere, and that is such a huge inspiration. I would dive into that box every once in a while and it's like getting caught in a whirlwind. So much you want to work on but for some strange reason we were only given two hands. Ten fingers. What am I supposed to do with ten fingers?!



What do you find visually stimulating right now? Any local artists that we need to keep an eye on?

Right now my eyes are wide open and adjusting to Richmond, where I just recently moved to. So much greatness here, art-wise. It's such an underestimated town. Everywhere you look you find something you aren't expecting. Right down my alley there is a brick wall that someone was nice enough to cover in mortar and pieces of broken plates. It's beautiful. Even the people who live in Richmond are visually stimulating. It feels to nice to live in a community filled with aspiring artists. Chris Norris, who works in admissions to VCU, has wonderful works (nudge, nudge).



What other artists or movements inform your work/aesthetics/sensibilities?

I am in love with the works of artists like Justin DeGarmo, Esao Andrews, Travis Millard, and Kris Chau. It's so imaginative and like nothing else. And it's always in fun. Anything with wonderful energy gets me going. I get so overwhelmed with the idea that I should always be producing work that I question whether or not anything of mine is ever really finished, but I have recently come to realize that it may just be my style. I love that I have found my style. It's so comforting. It's like
wrapping yourself in a warm blanket. Now I get to work on it, and develop it.



Do you think that the notion of an artist's "style" is fabricated to boost sales and marketability? Are artists then forced to limit their body of work to specific content or media in an effort to facilitate easy recognization?

I think that a lot of the artists that produce "marketably profitable artwork" are just artists that are producing what they know they would buy . A lot of the stuff that is popular right now are popular because of artists. A few things that I have
recognized that are sold in stores are straight out of the art world. I'm sure a lot of artists get inspiration by popular culture. It just grows and they find people enjoy it, and it's just a cycle. I don't really think artists are forced to limit their body of work just to get recognition, because what would force them? Sales? It's not he most important thing in the world. It's nice, but everyone has their own tastes. You're always going to find someone that is drawn to your work.



What were your favorite cartoons as a kid??

I was always more of a outside girl. Hanging in trees and building crap out of extra wood. The green grass in my backyard was my favorite thing in the world. When I did finally come inside, my twin brother and I watched a lot of movies. Goonies and Indiana Jones were the deal. OF course there was always Batman, and Sunday morning cartoons. I always snuck and watched the cartoons late at night like Daria and Aeon Flux.



What do you imagine is the role of your work in the lives of those who see it? What evidence do you see of your work achieving the goals you have for it?

Honestly, I just like to see people happy when they view my works. Very rarely do I make any darker pieces. Smiles. That's what keeps me smiling.

Tell us about your DJ night at the Wave in Norfolk Virginia. We want details and flyers! Plug away!

Yay! I'm so excited about this project. It's called SUBTERRANEAN. It's every Wednesday night at the Wave in Ghent Norfolk. Me and my buddy Drew.B scout for the best new stuff in music blogs and mixes and we compile awesome sets specifically for people to shake their hips and get their swerve on. The music range is incredible and I guarantee you will dance all night. There are also dollar beers. I mean...come on. We work really hard on this event and I make and HAND CUT every single flyer that goes out to get this thing going ( and they are really cute, they are little mixtapes). If you want to know what kind of
music is played visit the Myspace for SUBTERRANEAN.

If there were no financial limits whatsoever for you, what constraints would you most like to overstep? Are there other mediums you would explore?


I REALLY want a studio. This whole keeping my paints in tuperware drawers and buying canvas's when I need them thing is ridiculous. I would love to dedicate a space just to creating. I am interesting in using oil paints, and currently looking
for a fun oil workshop in richmond. It just produces SUCH a smooth texture.

Did you grow up in Virginia? (If not, when / why did you move here?)

Well, I was born in Ipswich, England and raised in Fayhetville, North Carolina. I moved to Virginia when I was 8 because we were relocated because of my fathers position in the Air Force, and I swear to you that it is the most comfortable state I have ever been to. Everyone is so warm. Well....most people at least.



Do you do gallery shows?

I have done a few shows with the guys over at Restless Bodies and Elm and Oak but no gallery shows yet. I would like to do a bunch of gallery shows, hopefully starting off in Richmond.

Patrick Swayze or Chuck Norris? Why?

I'm going to have to stray away from these choices and go with Steven Segal. Only because I wish to gain his companionship so I can trick him and go behind his back and whoop his ass. It is my number one priority in life. I think I am in Phase Two of my plan because he approved my friendship request on myspace.

How do you transform a blank canvas into a work of art? What's your process?

Well, first I sketch a little sketch. Then I cover the canvas in a color. Whatever color im feeling. I'm really into doing portraits right now, so I start with a face shape and lay down pencils which I can pick up under my first couple layers of
paint. I like to do all my details and stuff with this wonderful nibbed pen. I get carried away with adding details but I love doing it. Add some more color here, there, on my clothing, hands, and finally on the canvas. I guess I feels it's
finished when I add text. It's kind of like a stamp of approval, subconsciously.



The business side of being an artist: how do you market/promote yourself, and does it work? How do you cope?

I try to leave these little cards I made everywhere. You know, a lot of people are embarassed to mention myspace, but I think it is a wonderful tool. Add, add, add, add.....and then you realize you have 7,000 friends. Oh by the way, add me.

I'm not really a jerk. I actually love everyone.




No comments: