Thursday, November 6, 2008

Artist: Lamar

The following interview was conducted by k@t and compiled by Gabe. Don't be a jerk. Give us credit for our hard work! Do not copy+paste this feature elsewhere!


And now, the ever-talented Mr. Demarquis Lamar Johnson.




Bio


Demarquis Lamar Johnson, aka LAMAr. Born of Military parents. Moved from place to place and school to school before going to Salem High School. Attended Virginia Wesleyan College. Demarquis has worked a number of jobs, including a brief stint as An Art Gallery Assistant. His artwork is consigned @ Serendip Arts And Antiques Norfolk Virginia, Detail Gallery Rehoboth beach Delaware. 100+ paintings of his have sold to places including : Childrens Hospital,Mayor of Norfolk,Doctors, Teachers, Artist Etc, and most recently the Four Sisters Gallery on the Campus of North Carolina Wesleyan College.


INTERVIEW

How long have you been creating?


I have been creating art since I was in diapers. The earliest art I recall were images of the Flintstones and dinosaurs. Then Disney movie box covers, and then my own creations.

How would you describe your work?

I would describe my work as "real art." My images are stories and concepts all of my own from my individual life. I consider it "real art," because of the self-experession factor, I really don't use my formal art training or techniques, I pour the paint or grab the pastels and just flow. "Real Art" [what Damarquis calls it]-meaning ones real views without copying, tracing, or using techinques from a "master."

What are you motivations for creating?

I do not really know if I am motivated. It is more of a way of life for me. Sometimes I roll out of the bed on to the floor and just start painting. I guess I can say it is a good feeling to help people through tough moments through reading my poems viewing my works.



What do you find visually stimulating right now? Any local artists that we need to keep an eye on?

I have googled some really good artists I use to attend high school with. [It's] pretty great to see what there doing. I learned from Michael Deweese, who is really successful in the feature film business as a storyboard artist. That is pretty motivational to me. Another local artist that has probably the most powerful work woudl be Francisco Burgess, I lost touch with him after I dropped out of Virginia Wesleyan College.

What other artists or movements inform your work/aesthetics/sensibilities?

I can not say an art movement really inspired my work. I used to aim to create work worthy of being good enough to hang in my Mom's living room. She collected a lot of black art when I was younger. Some compare my work to the harlem renassiance. I can somewhat agree with that, but then again, uh no. I would have to say Harlem renassiance meets south park. South park with a positive message though!



Do you think that the notion of an artist's "style" is fabricated to boost sales and marketability? Are artists then forced to limit their body of work to specific content or media in an effort to facilitate easy recognization?

Very, Very true! There are so many people tracing the styles Picaso, Jacob Lawrence, Jackson Pollock, and Monet. There are also artists creating work for shock value. Art is very similar to music. Artists create to market instead of just creating what they like. They compromise their art to be represented by a gallery. Art galleries no longer really display art; art galleries today look like Kinkos coloring books.

What do you do when you're not creating?

Honestly, I am always creating and playing with an idea in my head. My art comes from my life and the adventures I live.

What do you imagine is the role of your work in the lives of those who see it? What evidence do you see of your work achieving the goals you have for it?

My work is inspiration to people. It gives hope and allows them to see that everyone goes through things. Based on the success I have already had, and the realization that art galleries reject my work but respect me shows me that I know my goal is within reach. My goal being to inspire others, and be a significant artist in my day and time.



If there were no financial limits whatsoever for you, what constraints would you most like to overstep? Are there other mediums you would explore?

I still paint on paperbags, like when I was broke, and buy .44 cent paint from walmart. With that being said I really do not see things changing. Art to me is creating something beautiful from nothing...I enjoy that challenge. Judging my work on canvas compared to the bag work, [I think it's best if I] stick with the free stuff.

Did you grow up in Virginia? (If not, when / why did you move here?)

No disrespect to VA, but no. Luckily I have lived all over the eastcoast, to include the Big Apple, N.Y., South Carolina, and Mississippi just to name a few places.



Do you do gallery shows?

My art work is too much like real art for most of the local spots, however I do exhibit out of state from time to time. Libraries and Schools tend to appreciate art with substance, such as my work.

How do you start a piece? What is the process?

Well, Lets see. First I rip up a paper bag. Paint a background color, and go from there. I paint in layers. I really paint without clear concepts in mind at times. But when I am done I always have something to say about it, and I usually incorporate my words and signature in the piece.

The business side of being an artist: how do you market/promote yourself, and does it work? How do you cope?

I send out hundreds of emails to galleries, post on craigslist, and check art calendars for show opportunities. My work sells well. As far as coping, I can not stress about people not wanting to see my work, I realize not everyone wants to hear me nor see me! ...and that my friend is life.

LINKS

LAMAr's official myspace page

No comments: