Thursday, November 6, 2008

Band: Action Habit


(the following feature was written by MC7C. Please give us the proper credit we deserve and copy the link location and not copy and paste.
THANKS!)

BACKGROUND


Norfolk based, Action Habit, is a combination of garage rock and punk. They are by no means a typical "garage rock" band. If you're a fan of the Rolling Stones, The Pixies, The Who, or The Stooges, then you will be a fan of Action Habit. Anthony Torres, fronts the band with his tasty lyrics and mesmerizing guitar riffs. Dave Voightritter and Dany Magee round out the trio with their solid drum and bass lines, which create a unique sound. Playing at almost every venue in the Hampton Roads area, they have pounded out their influence in the local music scene. If you see their shows listed on a calendar, it's in your best interest to write a huge reminder on your fridge and attend!

INTERVIEW

What is your music background? Did you play instruments growing up?

All three members of the band are self taught. I myself have been obsessed with music since my occupancy in the womb. It is the only thing that has always been there for me, and quite frankly the only thing I trust. I picked up the guitar in the 80's and have been sleeping with it ever since.



Where did the name The Action Habit come from? How did the band get together?

The name came from a 1950's flyer about being a successful salesman using the "Action Habit" method. The flyer was found in the storage room of an old downtown business in Norfolk. It still hangs in my living room. I think people need to take more action in this world and stop being so content and complacent.
All of us had been in other bands, but were seeking new avenues to travel down. I am the only original member left, but Dany and Dave have been the Action Habit rhythm section for six years now.

Growing up, how did music play a role in your childhood/adolescence?

I could always depend on music my whole life. I could always put the needle on any number of records and that magic would always be there. I always had music by my side but never dreamed of actually playing it until punk/post punk happened in my world.

What other activities / things do you enjoy doing when not playing music?

I like reading and photography and seeking out great bands. Dave and Dany are both married. Yes, I am the single one. Dave handles IT duties for a local media station, and Dany is a teacher.



Who are your favorite musicians?

I can't bear the thought of leaving anyone out by answering this. There are too many important artists for me to pick a handful. I love great songwriters.the Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Pj Harvey, the Who, Guided by Voices, Echo and the Bunnymen, Neil Young, Velvet Underground, Big Star and so on…



How would you describe your music to people?

I always say it's kind of noisy pop mixed with a hint of prog rock.

Are you happy with the direction the band is going right now? What is the current goal of the band?

We are all pretty happy with the band. The current goal is to just finish mixing the record we have been working on and hopefully have it out by the end of the year. Then we can do more East Coast touring.



How do you balance your music with your other parts of life (job, family)?

It gets real hard sometimes. Lucky for me, I am playing with two of the most dedicated people I have ever been in a band with. If it's in your soul, you make time for the band.

What is the greatest compliment anyone has ever paid to you regarding your art work? What about the greatest insult? How should an artist respond to such compliments and insults? Is it easier to talk about the compliment or the insult?

The greatest compliment I can think of is the people who come to almost every show. The repeat supporters really make it worthwhile. I can think of no certain insults. Most people keep that to themselves anyway. Music is so subjective. You are always going to have people that are at a club and are not digging your sound. That kind of makes you want to play harder and put it in their face.
I can't tell other people how to handle opinions. Everyone has them, and everyone thinks they have the right one. Instinct is still best.



What causes artistic blocks? What do you do to solve them?

Life. I think any stress causes writers block. Relationships, jobs, health. The thing to do is to take that energy and make a song out of it. Don't let the negative emotion get the best of you. Use your art as a reflection of yourself.

If you could play a show with any band, past or present, who would it be? What music would you want them to perform?

The Who with Keith Moon on drums. I would want them to play the whole catalog.

What are trying to do to people with your art? Inspire them? Move them? Educate them?

I
do this for me. If people want to come along for the ride, that's great. If I somehow inspire someone to start something positive and creative, then that's way more than I ever could have imagined when I picked up that guitar the first time. There is no secret message to this. I believe you should do your art with intensity. I don't mean volume, but with real emotion. If you are in it for other reasons, you need to question your validity.

Where do you see the band in the next few years?

All I could ask for is that we are constantly moving forward with new ideas and thoughts. I want to always be pushing the envelope of our capabilities.



How would you like to see the local music scene change? (venues, fans, other bands) Do we need to have better venues? Better ways of booking shows? Which way do you find best to get fans to come out to shows? (word of mouth / internet / flyers)

The problem that this area has always had is support of local music. The clubs don't want to pay the bands well. The clubs rarely do promotion. No flyers or radio spots. Local radio needs to support this more as well. We need more local music shows on radio. We need local record stores to push the regional bands more. Go to any major city and they will have and spotlight regional talent. Clubs should invest in a PA system. That is a great incentive for bands to play in their clubs. Once a band has to pay a PA rental, and a support band, they are left with very little money. When a band plays for the door money, that's all they get. They are totally at the mercy of the consumer. It really makes me angry when fellow musicians ask to be on the guest list. They should know that the only income we get comes from the cover charge. It's hard work maintaining
a band and loading in equipment, and giving it your all for 2 hours, only to have to break down everything , pack it up and hopefully be in bed by 3am. No matter how broke I am I will always pay to see a local band. If I can't afford it, I stay home.
We need to have more clubs booking original music. It's real pathetic that clubs pay a cover band so much more than an original band. I understand that most consumers just want to go out and get drunk and dance to the latest sounds, but the clubs have a responsibility to the local art community as well. Give the people some variety. Make something happen.
Sorry for the rant.
I cannot say enough great things about the MC7C organization. This is a major step in this area. I would love for more people to get involved with you to really bring positive results to this area. Artists need to protect their rights. They need someone like you to help them form a community. This area has always worked against each other instead of everyone taking it to the streets for the good of all. With the MC7C, we now have a forum to bring ideas and change to this area. I find that exciting. Get involved people! Every little bit helps.






No comments: