Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Artist: Tony Bijeaux

::Photographer::
Tony Bijeaux

:AbOut:

Single male
47 Years old
Norfolk native
Photos speak for himself

:Interview:




Are you from Virginia or did you relocate here? Where did you grow up?

Homegrown. I have lived in Norfolk most of my life.



Do you have a particularly favorite (photo/ painting) you have created and why is it your favorite?

Hard to say if I have a favorite shot. But, if I had to choose one I think it would be the portrait of my friend Icy Mike from the band Triple Shot.



What about photography captivated your interest?

I have always been captivated buy a nice photograph. Once I picked up a camera and took it seriously I became driven to capture things the way I see them.



What advice would you give to a person interested in becoming a professional photographer?

I actually dont consider myself a professional. I do get paid a few times a year for my craft, and get lucky and sell a few pieces of art a year. I wish I could figure out a way to make enough to support myself shooting photos. Then I would consider myself a professional.
I love doing portraits and that pays well when you can get it.

Best advice I can give someone wanting to be a pro is shoot weddings if you can get the work. I dont shot them myself. Tried it a couple times and its just not my cup of tea.



Tell us about your experiences getting started as a professional photographer.

Just shoot for the love of it and build from there.



Do you prefer working with digital or film cameras? Why?

I prefer the instant gratifaction of digital, but do love to break out my Large Format film cameras. I have got to finish setting up my dark room this spring and get to making some prints by hand.

Can you tell us about your technical process.(camera type/ photo editing programs)

My favorite digital camera is my Nikon D70s, I also have a Nikon D2X which is larger and heavier to lug around so it stays home most of the time unless I have some serious work to do. As far as editing programs I just shoot RAW to begin with and fiddle around in Photoshop some. I usually try to keep it simple and just adjust sharpness, contrast and lighting there.



Can you tell us about your creative process. How do you come up with ideas for photo shoots and shots?

I just look at the world around me.

What are predominating concerns as an artist, and how do you express them?

Getting my work seen. Where can we as artist show our work is my largest concern. Im sure there are alot of places, but how do you find somewhere to share your work?

What do you want to photograph that you've not yet shot?

More people....



Can you think of a particularly fun client or project that you've had?

I have a friend Levi Little that does some producing and guidance for music artist, that gets me a gig now and then. I havnt had a bad time shooting any of those folks.

What about a really boring project that you did just to pay the rent?

N/A If it doesnt interest me I dont do it. I shoot because I love to, not because I have to.



What are your present works about? How would you describe your work?

I love abstract photography. I am always trying to see things from my warped point of view.

What other interests do you have? (besides photography)

I like the outdoors alot. I do alot of gardening around the house when the weather is nice. Fishing is also very relaxing to me.



What artists have influenced you, and how?

My good friend Neal Chaves has influenced me most. Hes a local guy that has taught me alot about photography, another close friend June Ferrol from Venice who also has some fantastic shots and simular taste in what to shoot. I also like the works of Adams and Weston to name a couple.

What do you think of the current trend of tattooed, alternative nearly (or fully) naked models such as Suicide Girls or various other alterna sites? Do you think it has a negative or positive effect on photography?

Love it. Wish I could get some models for that type of art work.



Any local artists or bands we need to check out?

Triple Shot, 710 Oil and Levi Little to name a couple.

What's the most played song on your iPod (or an equivalent music playing device) in the past week?

Jack Johnsons new cd has been the most played this week.



What came first, the art or the misery? Explain.

The misery came first. I always had an interest in photography but many years of paying child support didnt let me afford it. The children had to come first. Once I became financially able to get some nice equipment I was able to realease my pent up creativity. I have always had a need to create....

Please feel free to let me know how you see the things I have shot.





:Links:

BiJeaux Myspace
Photo.net portfolio
Ovation TV

No comments: