Thursday, November 6, 2008

Artist: Mary Kay Hollday

Continuing our features on talented local ladies in honor of the Joan of Art show, we have hand selected the creative diva, Mary Kay Holladay to be included in this month's spotlights.

(please direct link to this feature and not copy+paste. Give us the proper credit for the work! thanks!)

Featured Artist:

Mary Kay Holladay

"Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." ---- Pablo Picasso

Biography:


Mary Kay lived in the mid-west (Indiana and Ohio) until her retirement. At that time she re-located to Virginia Beach, Virginia. She has found Virginia to be an endless source of new subject matter for her paintings, enjoying the weather, the flowers and trees, but most of all the beaches.

Mary Kay spent her career in the highly regulated field of blood banking and transfusion medicine. She has always loved the creative process but for many years her time was spent working, making a home and raising her children. Because of these commitments, she had little time to draw or paint. Since her children are now grown and have their own lives and responsibilities, she has once again returned to her art. Painting has given her a sense of freedom she never felt during her professional life.

Mary Kay started painting in oils but has since switched to watercolors and acrylics. She enjoys painting landscapes, cityscapes, flowers and still life arrangements. Mary Kay is open to trying new things, new techniques, and new subject matter. While most of her art is considered to be representational, she has also done abstracts and (what might be described as) impressionistic work.

She has taken many classes and workshops in both Ohio and Indiana. Her works have been included in numerous juried exhibitions, won awards, and are included in both private and corporate collections.

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art in knowing which ones to keep." ---- Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert cartoons

Interview:

How long have you been creating?

Forever – in one manner or another!

How would you describe your work?

Mostly representational/traditional although I also love doing abstracts – there is such a freedom in that process.

What are your motivations for creating?

My motivation for creating is the desire to create something that gives me joy and (hopefully) is also a source of pleasure for the viewer.

What do you find visually stimulating right now? Any local artists that we need to keep an eye on?

What stimulates me now is the same as has always stimulated me and that is the beauty that surrounds me each and every day. Regarding local artists, there are a few that come to mind: Nancy Lucks, Pam Hill and Patricia DeHart – all of these women are extremely talented and like me, are working hard to build a following here in the Hampton Roads area.


What other artists or movements inform your work/ aesthetics/ sensibilities?

Gosh, that's a tough one. I love the impressionists but enjoy equally artists like Kandinsky, Mir'o, Pollack and then on to Georgia O'Keefe. So, I guess, for me each artist has something to share with me.

Do you think that the notion of an artist's "style" is fabricated to boost sales and marketability? Are artist then forced to limit their body of work to specific content or media in an effort to facilitate easy recognition?

I do think artist have a "style" but I don't believe it is limiting (unless the artist allows that). As with all things, there is always change and it seems foolish to think artists would be any different. As their lives change, so may their work. It is as it should be.

What were your favorite cartoons as a kid?

Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig (guess I'm dated myself). When my children were young, I loved the Smurfs – you may never have even heard of them. (Mary Kay, we happen to love Bugs and the Smurfs. Cartoons are never outdated or out of style! We are all kids at heart!-k@t/Gabe)

What do you imagine is the role of your work in the lives of those who see it? What evidence do you see of your work achieving the goals you have?

I believe the role of my art is to bring joy and beauty to others. I have no social or political message.


If there were no financial limits whatsoever for you, what constraints would you most like to overstep. Are there other mediums you would explore?

I would be free to experiment more with different types of art and also see how different mediums interact. If money were not an issue, there would be absolutely no limit to what I would try or places I would go to learn different skills. It is just too much to even consider the possibilities.

Did you grow up in Virginia?

I have been in Virginia for only a year. I have always lived in the mid-west (Indiana and Ohio). When it was time for me to retire, my oldest son invited me to move to Virginia to be close to him and his family. I am glad I decided to do just that.

Do you do gallery shows?

I did some shows in Ohio and Indiana but have not had that opportunity as yet in Virginia. It is something I would certainly be open to doing.

Your work is very different from one another with subject matter and actual execution. What inspires you to create? How does a blank canvas become a finished piece?

I think the answer to part of this question can be found in my answer to question 9. I absolutely love to try different things! I love color and shape but I also find such joy in being able to put onto canvas or paper something that is as close to what nature has created as is possible for me to create. Not sure if that answers your entire question but it's the best I can do.

The business side of being an artist: how do you market/promote yourself, and does it work? How do you cope?

Recently I have joined with a few other local artists (we call our group Art X-pressions) and a great marketing person to work on getting our art 'out there' – that is how we got connected with Tanner's Creek Garden Center to form Tanner's Creek Marketplace. I do think it is working but we all realize it just takes time and perseverance. How do I cope? Well, I just believe it will happen and trust God will help with that – I'm a pretty patient person and believe anything worth while is worth waiting for ------ along with a great deal of hard work.


Upcoming Shows:

-Tanner's Creek Marketplace- Every Saturday 9am to 2pm.

(Tanner's Creek is located at the corner of Granby and Lavalette in Norfolk just past the Norfolk Zoo. It's a great opportunity to see a variety of art, check out beautiful plants, koi fish and pond plants and produce from local farmers.)

Links:

Mary Kay Myspace


artbymarykay@yahoo.com


No comments: